Monday, December 6, 2010

Make a Christmas Plate with Fabric!

While we were in Texas visiting, Paige and I made the cutest Christmas plates.  She and I don't get to do many "Plan B's" which is what we call craft projects, and it was a lot of fun.  She is always willing to learn something new.


Let me tell you how easy this is to do.  Go to Wal-Mart or anywhere that sells clear glass plates and get you a supply.  You'll want to do a bunch once you get started.  Get some Mod Podge glue/sealer.  I didn't know they had a Fabric Mod Podge, but they do.  I purchased that but I'm sure the plain Mod Podge will work just as well.

We used sponge brushes.  Rob your stash for fabric or buy some fabric.  It doesn't take much.  Just enough to cover the plates.  Wash the plates and dry well.  It took us longer to get those dang stickers off than anything. Then all you do is apply the glue to the back of the plate.  Lay fabric right side down on back of plate.  You want to be able to see the right side of the fabric through the top of the plate.

Once you have smoothed the fabric on the back of the plate, use your scissors to cut fabric around the edges.  Then all you do is apply a coat of Mod Podge over the fabric and let dry.


This is the end result. 

How cute are they?!  And so easy.  Put some cookies, candies, or breads on one and you have such a nice gift for your neighbors, teachers, mailman, beautician, or anyone else you can think of.  Just be sure to tell the recipients they CANNOT immerse the plates in water.  Just wash the tops.

Didn't Paige do a great job!

If you are interested in doing this and want to see a "you tube" tutorial, check out Missouri Star Quilt Co  They do such a great job on all their tutorials!

3 comments:

  1. Cute cute cute and cute - and the plates are cute too.

    I've heard of paper being used to do this with too. I think I'm adding clear plates to my shopping list for this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My granddaughter's would enjoy doing this...they turned out cute. Trish

    ReplyDelete
  3. my family are going to do this for our annual cookie/craft day. thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete