Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Block of the Month Carrier

Today I finished the BOTM carrier.

Since I didn't have a pattern, I had to figure things out as I went.  I wanted to make the cover stiff, so I had to put the insert in before I quilted which also meant I needed to quilt just the cover and batting, not the backing.

Then I wasn't sure how to quilt it.  I finally decided to do some echoing.  It was the first time I've done this and it was pretty easy.  It's not perfect but not bad for the first time.  I was considering using Timtex for stiffness, but it wasn't quite as thick as I wanted, so just used some cardboard.  So I put two pieces in and left one end open to do so.  I was able to machine sew it shut adding a little enclosure tab.  The pages are fleece which I tried to add with the machine and quickly found out there wasn't room to do so.  So I added the brown spine to the pages and then hand sewed it to the book.  Then I found the perfect button to sew on the front cover.

Now I have no excuse for not finding my blocks of the month!  I think I will also use this when I am doing applique projects.  The fleece will hold all those tiny pieces.  Some of which I have had to re-do as I had lost them.  No more!!

4 comments:

  1. What a great idea you had. Did you use the BSR for the echo quilting? If so, your work is impressive. I need to work with mine. You added so many design elements that there is so much to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really nice! Something elso to add to the 'To Do' list!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brenda, I love the choices you made including the fabric, echo quilting and fussy cutting. It's just really nice!!!

    ReplyDelete