Wednesday, September 22, 2010
Block of the Month Carrier
Since I didn't have a pattern, I had to figure things out as I went. I wanted to make the cover stiff, so I had to put the insert in before I quilted which also meant I needed to quilt just the cover and batting, not the backing.
Then I wasn't sure how to quilt it. I finally decided to do some echoing. It was the first time I've done this and it was pretty easy. It's not perfect but not bad for the first time. I was considering using Timtex for stiffness, but it wasn't quite as thick as I wanted, so just used some cardboard. So I put two pieces in and left one end open to do so. I was able to machine sew it shut adding a little enclosure tab. The pages are fleece which I tried to add with the machine and quickly found out there wasn't room to do so. So I added the brown spine to the pages and then hand sewed it to the book. Then I found the perfect button to sew on the front cover.